Appalachian Laboratory Environmental Science Education
Welcome! The Appalachian Laboratory Environmental Science Education (ALESE) program promotes environmental and science literacy among learners of all ages and in diverse settings. Our team designs, implements, evaluates and researches education projects with a focus on integrating real-world science practices, tools and professionals into K-12 and informal education settings. Our work builds directly on environmental science research conducted by scientists at the University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science Appalachian Laboratory.
What’s happening this month (November 2014)?
- Initiating our new NOAA-funded Scientist-Teacher-Student Partnership between the Appalachian Laboratory and Garrett, Allegany and Washington County high schools to study nitrate pollution in schoolyard rainwater and runoff.
- Preparing for our upcoming Informal Climate Change Education (ICCE) Community meeting in Lewes Delaware • Sharing the Sustainable School FieldScope at the NOAA Mid-Atlantic Sustainable Schools Workshop
- Developing “starter maps” for National Geographic’s FieldScope software
Explore our website
- Citizen Science tab - learn how you can help with Appalachian Lab science research on American chestnuts in western Maryland and on Poplar trees throughout North America -- open to learners of all ages and no experience required!
- Geospatial Education tab - explore our map-based curricular materials and training that help K-12 teachers integrate real-world science tools and practices into their classrooms -- part of our collaboration with National Geographic and their online map tool FieldScope
- Schoolyard Ecology tab - learn how we are helping western Maryland schools use their schoolyards for science investigations that support environmental and science literacy
- Climate Change Education tab - check out our new Maryland and Delaware Sea Level Rise curricular units and how we are working with informal educators on climate change education in out-of-school settings
- Ed Research and Evaluation tab - learn about our work to examine the design and impact of environmental and science education efforts